Summer School Blog Post PM 5

Here is what students said about class today: 
In class today I learned about the American Revolution. My favorite part was creating the podcast because It was really cool how i gathered up all my information and the just talk about everything I learned.

Today I learned about the Haitian revolution, today in class I created a podcast on the Haitian revolution and was given a quote to base my research off of. I also learned about Americas Bill of Rights and was asked to annotate with snap chats , this most definitely helps me value the rights I have as an American citizen, I also learned about rights I didn't even know I had.

Today I learned about the American Revolution and the Declaration of Independence by studying a quote from the Declaration of Independence. Studying the quote was probably my favorite part because the outlines made it easy.

Today I learned more about the Declaration of Independence and I learned it through a primary source on Newsela. I also learned about this quote from the Haitian Revolution,“All men, regardless of color, are eligible to all employment.”said by Toussaint L'Ouverture and made a voice memo which will be added into a huge podcast with other students who also talked about a various other quotes as well. My favorite part of class today was recording the voice memo because it was calming and relaxing for some weird reason. 


Here are some of the annotations they made using #booksnaps: 

Today my students created some questions they'd like our blog readers to answer: 
  1. It's cool that you have come to check out this amazing blog but, what made you want to take a look at this blog?
  2. Do you like history? Why? 
  3. How will this class help us in life?
  4. What's there favorite part about reading our blog?
  5. How has the American Revolution influenced democracy and liberty in other countries?
My students would love to hear your thoughts in the comments! 

1 comment:

  1. 1. I saw Mrs. Byars's tweet about it and I wanted to support all the great work that your class is doing.

    2. History is not my favorite subject, but I do like it. History is made up of stories, just like novels, movies, and TV. If you ever feel excited or amazed when you find out something you have been watching is "based on a true story," history is ALL based on true stories!!! It's especially interesting to look at alternate perspectives on history (which is written by the winners) - did you know Paul Revere didn't actually do much of the "midnight ride" at all?

    3. We can use the mistakes that these real-world characters in these real-life stories made to avoid making the same mistakes ourselves. We can also learn from history how to be successful. The American Revolution, which I see many of you studied this week, seemed doomed to fail multiple times. Yet it succeeded, because the rebels continued to persevere and work hard, and they fought for what they believed in. Furthermore, they got help where they needed it (from the French, Baron von Steuben, some native tribes, etc.) And they played to their strengths (guerilla warfare, hunting/practical marksmanship). Similarly, when we struggle in our lives, we can work hard, keep going, get help, and use our strengths!

    4. I like seeing the images you post alongside your blogs, like the booksnaps in this post.

    5. There are a LOT of ways. The American Revolution inspired practically all of the other democratic revolutions. Revolting and succeeding, especially succeeding in then creating a working government, was new. It directly inspired the following French Revolution (compare life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness to "Liberté, égalité, fraternité." It even inspired some revolutions that were unsuccessful, perhaps the most well-known to you being the American Civil War.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from others! Thank you for posting a comment for the class to read.