Summer School AM Blog Post 3

First students were asked: Do you believe ideas can change the world? Why or why not? 
And then they were asked:From what we have learned in class, has there been anything that supports your opinion? If so, please explain.

"No, I do not believe that ideas can change the world. It requires action for there to be any reaction. Just an idea won't change the life we know, but an action that goes with it might have some effect." Vanessa 

"Yes one of them is the enlightenment because philosophers got together and brought up different ideas about certain subjects which lead to a change. I believe ideas can change the world because it can bring in other people to the discussion, which can lead to a change. Yes, there have been cases supporting my opinion such as the Enlightenment thinkers. Their ideas only had effect because they took action." Alex 

"I don't believe that ideas itself can change the word, but rather the spreading and teaching of them. Ideas are meaningless if there's no action put to them. it's one thing to think something, and another to act on it. The philosopher I studied, Louverture, had ideas about this idea of equality. H believed that every man is entitled to right. When the Slave Revolt initiated, he took it upon himself to lead the movement. He converted an idea, to an action." Vianney 

"I believe that ideas can really make an affect on the world but it really depends if those ideas become reality, become an action people take. What I learned about Voltaire I agreed with, he believed that everyone has freedom in religion and that the government shouldn't favor a religion or religious group." Darlyn 

"I think ideas do not change the world unless action is taken within the idea. I don't think we have learned enough information to support my idea, however I do have a little background knowledge. I have always been taught that if we don't take action, nothing will ever happen. For example, I want to get an A in this class, but if I don't take action towards my goal by doing my work and studying, it will never happen. " Aracely 

"Yes I believe ideas change the world because ideas spark actions and persuade false thinking, bringing justice to all the wrongs in the world. Yes, philosophers in the enlightenment introduced new ideas such as separation of powers and the freedom of religion and now we are currently living in a world with these ideas as a foundation" Hayden



The lesson today was a digital Enlightenment Salon but instead of only having enlightenment thinkers, students could pick from a range of revolutionary leaders and thinkers to help use better understand and explore the question of "Can ideas change the world?" Here are some of the videos students created today based on their research of major revolutionary thinkers. These students asked for their work to be shared on our blog. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from others! Thank you for posting a comment for the class to read.